EmbodyPhysio Yoga combines the evidence base and knowledge of Physical Therapy and how the body “works” with the ancient science of yoga, to provide a functional and integrative form of therapy. Using her knowledge and experience as a Physical Therapist (Physiotherapist), and knowledge and experience with yoga, Rebecca is able to deliver a new model for health, fitness, and prevention, as well as rehabilitation in a more holistic fashion. Using Medical Therapeutic Yoga (MTY), the focus is on you and your goals, rather than your diagnosis, and she prescribes yoga based on your specific needs.
Yoga is the union of the body, the mind, the energetic (prana), and the spirit. It allows us to work toward balance, health, and wellness.
Using MTY, EmbodyPhysio Yoga can help to decrease the risk of chronic disease, manage long standing or new pain, manage stress, and promote lifelong healthy habits. Rebecca works with people of all physical shapes, sizes, and abilities. No need for fitness clothing, to be strong or flexible! We embrace yoga philosophy and knowledge, and MTY is non-dogmatic and non-theistic. Medical Therapeutic Yoga can be used by students of any yoga system, religion, or physical condition. We meet you at your level and help you to address the needs at that time of your life.
Examples of some of the problems that brought people to EmbodyPhysio Yoga Therapy:
- Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, including incontinence, pain, and prolapse
- Back and neck pain
- Persistent problems after concussion
- “Arthritis” and Joint pain, Bone Health concerns
- GI Dysfunction, including IBS
- Strength, mobility, and balance problems
- Anxiety, depression, and stress related concerns
- A desire to move and feel better, and to improve overall ability
Things people ask about EmbodyPhysio Yoga:
- Q: I have been going to yoga elsewhere, and would like to go back, but need to be stronger/feel better/recover from ____. A: Absolutely! Some of our clients attend classes here because they feel they meet their needs and they enjoy them. Others take what they learn and develop working with Rebecca and return to the community classes that they enjoy. But they go back to those classes with improved ability, strength, and knowledge about ways to best modify poses or to change the practice to meet their own needs.
- Q: I don’t think that I have the flexibility or strength for yoga. A: After evaluation, Rebecca will discuss your goals, and will begin to design and build a program for you, helping you work towards your goals, and scaling the program to meet and strengthen your abilities. Everyone is able to “do Yoga” at Embody, and we teach you to change and modify the poses and activities to build confidence, strength, and success.
- Q: I don’t really like to go to classes, and I don’t have much time during my day. I would really like something for work and other times. A: Yoga does not require a set time or place. In actuality, stopping and finding time throughout your day for mental and physical focus (standing or sitting; it does not require a mat or lying down) will truly allow you to strengthen and create changes. Rebecca loves to help people “take their practice off the mat” and into daily life.
- Q: I have been told that I should not do yoga because of orthopedic problems (like shoulder, hip, knee, ankle). A: As a Physical Therapist, Rebecca brings her knowledge of anatomy, joint function and mobility, and body knowledge and work to yoga, and modifies and builds poses. Not every pose/asana is for each person or body, and we teach and build accordingly. As a PT, Rebecca is also able to include manual therapy techniques into individual yoga programs.
Rebecca began her personal yoga practice in1998 in a community-based yoga class that was a mobility and relaxation class and emphasized mobility over form and technique. As she explored yoga in that class, other classes, and in videos, she began to utilize yoga poses or asana in her physical therapist practice. Although utilizing poses with her patients, she knew that she was missing knowledge and theory in applying yoga in the clinic to the full benefit of her patients and clients.
She began searching for classes and ways to develop knowledge, philosophy, and skills application for her patients and for her own practice. After researching programs, she chose to obtain her yoga certification through the Professional Yoga Therapy Institute (PYTI) in North Carolina, and completed certification in March 2018. The PYTI program is a specialized program for licensed healthcare providers, blending Western medicine with the life science of yoga and Eastern medicine, wellness, and prevention. She has had the privilege of teaching other healthcare providers studying through the PYTI, and always learns from her students.
The use of yoga in Physical Therapy practice has deepened Rebecca’s knowledge while encouraging more and deeper study into yoga, health, and ayurvedic medicine. It has broadened the base and the tools that she can provide to her clients and patients who would like to utilize yoga therapy, and to provide them with options and tools for improved energy, strength, mobility, balance, function, and confidence, as well as less pain.
If you have questions about EmbodyPhysio Yoga Therapy, please contact Rebecca at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-259-5342.
EmbodyPhysio Yoga Therapy options:
Individual evaluation and treatment: 90 minutes ($175.00)
Follow up individual sessions: 1 hour ( $100.00)
For more information about PYTI, visit www.proyogatherapy.org.
Pelvic Health and Pain
Urinary and Fecal Incontinence
Pain Intercourse or other sexual activities
Pain with tampon use
Pain with Gynecology visit
Pelvic Floor Muscle Dysfunction
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
These are common issues you may be having.
Common, but not normal, and we can help.
You deserve to live a pain free life, and taking care of your pelvic health is an important step in achieving that. We can help you make that step, working with your physician or other healthcare providers to make sure we provide the best service possible.
Are you seeking solutions for Spine and Pelvic Floor concerns? Download our 6 Tips Sheet for some quick ideas:
- You might have read about POP/Pelvic Organ Prolapse. We work with clients with POP, and want to take some of the "oh, no!" and "Why me" out of POP. Read more in this blog post. Questions? Please call us!
Expert Care During Pregnancy and After Birth
You do not need to live with:
Back, neck, and hip pain during pregnancy and postnatal
Pelvic Ring, SI, and Pubic Symphysis pain
Urinary Incontinence (leakage)
Diastasis (DRA), abdominal, and core weakness
Episiotomy and C-Section scar mobility and pain
Pelvic Floor and pelvic organ descent (prolapse)
We are here to help you RECOVER and RESTORE.
Whether you are pregnant with your first child (or fifth!), in the "fourth trimester", or it's been 22 years since you last gave birth, the Women's Health and Pelvic Floor specialists at Embody can provide you with solutions! Once post-partum, always post-partum, and changes are possible at any point or age!
You can read and learn more about why we advocate for new moms (and not so new!) in this blog post.
EmbodyPhysio Yoga Therapy
No yoga experience? No problems!
We help you build, learn, and change whether that's one on one or in a group class. We want you to be able to have confidence in your ability and practice!
EmbodyPhysioYoga is a bridge between traditional PT and yoga. We help you begin to connect body, mind, and environment without causing further pain and discomfort. EmbodyPhysio Yoga helps you create strong breath and energy, strength, mobility, balance, and confident movement options for all abilities and ages. We offer private sessions as well as three different in-house yoga classes to help you find what's right for you.
Rebecca had the opportunity to share thoughts about Yoga, Physical Therapy and "Taking it Off the Mat" into daily life with Alsion McLean of Ignite Wellness. Listen here to our laughter and conversation about wellness and function.
What are some of the things we hear about EmbodyPhysioYoga? "I needed a reminder today. Thank you! Return to the mat, mindbody." MM